Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Laundromat



The constant echoing hum bouncing off the bare walls and tiled floor leaves a ringing in my ears.

One that I’ve heard too many times before, and it’s kinda’ sad that I’m back here, pumping quarter after quarter into these machines. Breathing in the scent released by drier sheets and soaps.

The walls shake as the cold, heartless doors squeak and slam and latch into place, preventing those without the key from entering for such a simple reason as getting in out of the rain. It pounds endlessly on the windowpane. Giving no hint of letting go of the misery had by those who once ran in the grass barefoot, and touched and raced each other with glee. The air is as dry as my eyes, as I cried my last tear three days ago and couldn’t bring myself to produce any more.

I needed him to need me, and when I saw that it was not the truth, I knew I had to leave. I just didn’t want to.

Until it was too late.

He knew he had something with which to take full advantage; and he took it all. Every penny, every moment, every apology he could get his hands on. They were his before they were ever mine to give. He told me I was nothing without him, and I was starting to agree.

I finally took it upon myself to leave; and although it has been grievous, I see the future on a lighted path. My dreams postponed once more, but oh so more attainable this time.

I’m back on track to where I want to be, only a few years behind.

And I listen to the never-ending echoing hum, believing time has passed, but it hasn’t. Feeling like I’m right back where I started. Pumping quarter after quarter into these machines…

And knowing I’m better off this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment