Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Triskaidekaphobia– the fear of the number 13



For me 2013 seems to be about facing some of my fears. I faced my fear of judgment, my fear of failure,

my fear of heights, my fear of exposure, my fear of rejection, and I feel I’m on the eve of facing yet

another fear. It’s only September, there may be more.

I feel it’s rather important in how I faced these fears. Some were planned, others were thrust upon me,

and that difference helped to define the manner in which I dealt with each fear. The fears that surprised

me left me with a second of paralysis, but I was able to overcome that and fly in the face of the fear.

The planned ones allowed me time to prepare for the moment, but even then, there was a second of

hesitation. I think that the plans to face these fears have helped me in my ability to react well to the

unplanned ones.

There was always a risk involved. If you’re not taking a risk, you’re not living, you’re merely existing. I’m

not here to just exist, I was given a chance to make this life my own, and I’ll take the risks to make it so.

I’m not admitting to being reckless either. Yes, I jumped off a building, but I was wearing a harness!

This new fear could be a big one, or I may not have to deal with it at all. Either way, now that I am sure

of its existence, I’m taking the necessary steps to be ready for the moment of confrontation. No turning

to run, no hiding. When the time comes I will take that bull by the horns and wrangle him into the

ground with the same vigor I have used up until this point. I am positive that I will come out successful

because I have already proven to myself that I can.

Once I have defeated this fear, I will tackle the next one, and the one after that until I reach a

momentum that no fear will dare to challenge. I will no longer run. I will not be controlled by my fears

anymore. I will become the master of my own fears.

But I’ll still make someone else kill that spider.

1 comment:

  1. People say I'm brave but I'm not. I hate being afraid so I run at my fears, push myself through them to make them small. I'm not brave, I'm stubborn. And I'll kill spiders.

    ReplyDelete